Monday, January 1, 2018

January 1, 2018

Location: Cocoa, City dump, Cocoa Christmas Bird Count

I am a Great Egret,
I used to be killed for my plumes, which are long and distinct.
Fortunately the Audubon Society
Fought to save me from going extinct.

Sources: Audubon Guide to North American Birds - Great Egret

Photo and text © 2017 Dee Fairbanks Simpson

A note from Dee: Welcome to the new year! I have a few changes to the blog going forward. First, you probably have figured out that the pictures are not always posted on the day that I take them. I realized about halfway into 2017 that I would not be able to keep up the blog if I walk, photograph, edit, research and write every day as I still have a day job. It's easier (and I think the quality is a better) if I photograph, edit and get ahead of the blog rather than try to do it all every day. I still try to walk every day, but you won't necessarily see photos on the day that I take them.

Second, to keep the blog fresh, I will occasionally have guest photographers contribute photos since there are people like David who travel and see different species than I do. If you have a photo you would like to contribute, drop me an email.

And finally, also new for 2018 - my goal is to make at least one video entry every month. These will be production videos, continuing my Birding With Dee series. I would love your input here. If you have a topic you would like to see covered, or if you have a birding question you would like to see addressed, or if you just have a favorite bird that you would like to see covered more in depth, please post a comment here or on Facebook or drop me an email, I really would love to hear your input!

Thanks so much for reading and your continued support of my blog. I look forward to writing and producing videos for you in 2018!


No comments: