Friday, November 8, 2019

November 8, 2019


Location: Circle B Bar Reserve, Lakeland

I am a Florida Red-bellied Cooter
Notice the red highlights on my shell
I can be found throughout most of Florida
And southeastern Georgia as well.

Sources: Animal Diversity Web: Pseudemys nelsoni - Florida Redbelly Turtle

Photo and text © 2018 Dee Fairbanks Simpson






Location: Lake Mirror, Lakeland

I am a Peninsular Cooter
Compare and contrast me with the Red-bellied
He has straight lines on the back of his head
Mine are more swirled, almost like an eddie.

Note: Another clue to Peninsular Cooter ID, as described in the link below, is location - they are not as widespread as the Red-bellied.

Sources: Animal Diversity Web - Pseudemys peninsularis - Peninsula Cooter


Photo and text © 2018 Dee Fairbanks Simpson

No comments: