Sunday, February 2, 2020

February 2, 2020

Location: Maritime Hammock Preserve, Cocoa Beach

I am a female Northern Cardinal,
I am not red like my husband and brothers
But if I have brighter underwing coverts
It could indicate that I'm a great mother.

Sources: Birds of North America - Northern Cardinal
Plumage brightness as an indicator of parental care in northern cardinals

Unrelated to Cardinals, but crazy cool info: A friend turned me on to this article about the Biodiversity Heritage Library online.. I've started checking out their Flickr site which is amazing. My favorite find so far is the The natural history of Carolina, Florida, and the Bahama Islands v.1 London :Printed for B. White,1771. It's interesting seeing birds I kind of recognize but with different (sometimes, in my humble opinion, better) names.

Photo and text © 2020 Dee Fairbanks Simpson

No comments: