Monday, June 15, 2020

June 15, 2020

Location: Fellsmere, my house

I am in the genus Trachelas
I am also called Running Spider
I don't build a web, I hunt prey like a pleb,
My venom won't kill you, but be warned, I'm a biter!

Note: As described in the article linked below, "All spiders (except Cribellate Orbweavers) have venom and use it to immobilize or kill prey. This particular genus of spider is said to have a pretty painful bite to humans, but its venom is not dangerous like a Black Widow or Brown Recluse's. That said, a few reports of an infection arising at the bite site (possibly from scratching or touching it) have been made, as well as a lengthy healing time for a wound to heal. As every body is different, see a medical professional if you think a spider bite is getting worse or more painful."

Sources: Insect Identification for the Casual Observer - Running Spider (Trachelas sp.)

Photo and text © 2020 Dee Fairbanks Simpson

No comments: