Wednesday, September 23, 2020

September 23, 2020

I am known as a Spider Wasp
So named for what I eat
I paralyze a spider with my venom
And leave it for my babies to feast.

(I went out to see my beautiful garden spider, and was horrified to find this wasp attacking her. Besides the fact that it was already too late (see the last photo below) I understand that nature must take its course; wasp babies have to eat too.  I highly suggest getting a free JSTOR account and reading the article listed in the sources below for details of what the wasp does with the spider.)

Location: Fellsmere, my yard

Sources: Martins, R. (1991). Nesting Behavior and Prey of Poecilopompilus algidus fervidus and Tachypompilus xanthopterus (Hymenoptera: Pompilidae). Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society, 64(2), 231-236. Retrieved September 20, 2020, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/25085276

Photo and text © 2020 Dee Fairbanks Simpson

No comments: