Sunday, May 6, 2018

May 6, 2018

Location: Sebastian Riverwalk

I'm a female Red-breasted Merganser
I come to Florida in the winter time.
But over the years, my numbers here
Have been on the decline.

Dee and David count birds every winter
You might think that's kind of strange
But the data collected is vitally important
And clearly shows the impact of climate change.

Today is my birthday. As your gift to me, please:

  • Click the link below to see the animated map that is created using the reams of data we (and thousands of other citizen scientists) have collected over decades. 
  • Sign up for an annual Christmas Bird Count to help us keep this vital data collection going. You don't have to be a bird expert, we always need drivers, spotters, note takers, photographers, and post-count dinner help. Contact me or David for details on Brevard and Indian River county counts, or contact your local Audubon Society for this year's count dates. 
  • Share a link to my blog with a friend who might not be familiar with the flora and fauna of Florida - knowledge is power!
Sources: Climate Endangered Red-breasted Merganser

Photo and text © 2018 Dee Fairbanks Simpson

No comments: