Wednesday, January 11, 2017

January 11, 2017


Location: St. Sebastian River Preserve State Park, spillway parking area

This is a pile of dead fish that some idiot left in the parking area of the spillway where I monitor manatees. The older I get, the less tolerant I become of idiots. Why would some one do this? Who thinks this is right? It's wrong on so many levels.

Being a homo sapiens1, I am an omnivore. I am somewhat of a hypocrite - if I had to kill my own food, I would be a vegetarian. But I certainly understand and do not in any way begrudge people who chose to hunt or fish for food, skins for clothing, or other necessity. But I do not and never will understand people who hunt or kill for sport or trophies.

And why would you kill more than you need? If these were bait fish, why not save them for another day? Or did the person perhaps think they were doing wildlife a favor by leaving these in the middle of the parking lot so they don't go to waste? Here's a clue - if you killed more than you can use, it has already gone to waste.

Sources: (1) Encyclopedia of life

Photo and text © 2017 Dee Fairbanks Simpson

No comments: