Thursday, January 12, 2017

January 12, 2017


Location: Sebastian, North County Regional Park

There have been a ton of Robins this year. Not sure if more than usual, perhaps I am just outside more this year.

One of the thing that always amazes me about Robins is how varied their plumages are. Some birds, like male Red Winged Blackbirds, have very distinct plumage, but in general, there is very little variation in the plumage between individual birds. With Robins though, I've see some with really crazy variations, to the point where had they not been hanging out with other Robins, I probably would not have been able to identify the bird. The funny thing is, when I Googled "American Robin" to find an example of this, I couldn't find any. It appears that most photographers look for the Robinyest looking Robin they can find, unlike me who looks for the odd balls, I guess because I can relate.

Photo and text © 2017 Dee Fairbanks Simpson

No comments: