Wednesday, January 18, 2017

January 18, 2017


Location: Fellsmere, St. Sebastian River Preserve State Park, spillway

This is a Great Egret that flew in while I was doing manatee watch. With those yellow eyes, Great Egrets always have that super intense Liam Neeson kind of look in their eyes.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for bird pictures, I can tell you I don't have the patience to pose, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have evolved over thousands of years. Skills that make me a nightmare for photographers like you. If you stop taking my picture now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for fish, I will find fish and I will kill fish. After all, I’m an egret and I really don’t care about you, I just like to eat fish, invertebrates, and occasionally small mammals.”

Photo and text © 2017 Dee Fairbanks Simpson

No comments: